Anywho, back to Top Ten Tuesday!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
Today's theme is ten things that will make me want to read a book. I like to think that I'm quite open minded when it comes to books, but at the same time I know what I like and am consequently drawn to what fits the bill. If a book has one, or preferably several, of the following then it is a must-read for me:
1) Pretty covers. We all know the saying 'never judge a book by it's cover', but who are we trying to kid? Of course we judge by the cover! Or at least I do. The more eye-catching a book is, the more likely I am to pick it up. Simples.
2) Set in the past. Medieval? Plantagenet? Tudor? Victorian? Doesn't matter. If it's historical fiction I'm interested. Reading is escapism for me, and historical fiction is perhaps the closest we'll ever get to a time machine!
3) Strong female characters. I'm not a feminist per se, but no one wants to read about a spineless heroine. This may be why I'm not all that keen on Austen.
4) Strong male characters. Who doesn't love an alpha. Preferably in period costume. Sorry not sorry.
5) Hate-to-Love Romance. It may be cliché but you can't beat it. From Pride and Prejudice to The Hating Game hate-to-love is a age-old romance trope that I just can't resist.
6) Road trips. Two people stuck with each other on an epic journey? Especially if they hate each other. Yes please.
7) Pirates, Highwaymen, Musketeers, Knights, Outlaws etc. Yes please.
8) Anything to do with Peter Pan, Retellings, new editons, non-fiction. I'm well aware that I have a Peter Pan complex. I refuse to grow up, and while everyone else is awaiting their letter from Hogwarts, I'm still waiting for Peter Pan to show up at my window and spirit me away to Neverland.
9) Royalty. From ancient Kings and Queens to 21st century playboy Princes. I love it all and will read it all.
10) Author. Obvious answer is obvious. My favourites include Elizabeth Chadwick, Anthony Horowitz, Marina Fiorato and Tracy Rees, amongst many, many others, and I'm counting down the days until their next releases.