Review: The Last Kiss Goodbye by Tasmina Perry

The Last Kiss Goodbye is yet another wonderful novel from Tasmina Perry. In fact, I think it's my new favourite.
 
Synopsis
Everyone remembers their first kiss. But what about the last?

1961. Journalist Rosamund Bailey is ready to change the world. When she meets explorer and man about town Dominic Blake, she realises she has found the love of her life. Just as happiness is in their grasp, the worst happens, and their future is snatched away.

2014. Deep in the vaults of a museum, archivist Abby Gordon stumbles upon a breathtaking find. A faded photograph of a man saying goodbye to the woman he loves. Looking for a way to escape her own heartache, Abby becomes obsessed with the story, little realising that behind the image frozen in time lies a secret altogether more extraordinary. 


Review
I enjoyed Tasmina's last novel, The Proposal, so I was looking forward to reading this. Dual narrative seems to be Tasmina's style, with one strand set in the present and the other in the past detailing events of a decades old mystery - in this case the disappearance of Dominic Blake. Abbey, a thirtysomething archivist with a troubled marriage throws herself into her work. During the course of putting together an exhibition she happens upon a photograph that takes her breath away, and sends her on a journey into the past.

Dominic Blake is immediately loveable, and knowing from the outset that he and Rosemary are hurtling towards heartbreak and separation lends their story more poignancy. As is always the case with dual narrative stories I preferred the one set in the past to the present - but this is simply because I'm a sucker for historical fiction. Both narratives work well together, and share one common character in Rosemary Bailey. Feisty and headstrong in her youth, not much has changed when Abbey tracks her down decades later. I didn't know right up until the last few pages how the story was going to end, and when I got there it was just perfect!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Last Kiss Goodbye; I loved it so much that I passed it on to my mum to read, and she couldn't put it down!

*Thanks to Bookbridgr for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a review!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Summer in Tuscany by Domenica De Rosa

Feature and Follow Friday: Featured Blogger!

Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey