Review: Disclaimer by Renee Knight

Here's a confession - I actively avoid hyped novels. They rarely live up to expectation, and the more a book is pushed at me, the less inclined I am to read it. That said, when I spotted Disclaimer on the shelf of my local library I was

1) Very surprised that it hadn't been snatched up/reserved - I'd assumed the waiting list was a mile long!

2) Torn between leaving it on principle, or picking it up to see what all the fuss was about.

Suffice to say I chose the latter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Imagine if the next thriller you opened was all about you.

When an intriguing novel appears on Catherine’s bedside table, she curls up and begins to read.

But as she turns the pages she is horrified to realize she is a key character, a main player.

This story will reveal her darkest secret.

A secret she thought no one else knew…


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

Disclaimer was nothing like I expected it to be. But then, I'm not entirely sure what I actually expected. I write reviews that are spoiler free and so I can't say much without giving plot points away, but what I can say is that I was gripped from the start. This novel is packed with twists and turns, and the contrasting views of Catherine and the author of The Perfect Stranger - the fictional book detailing her darkest secret- serve to muddle the reader's head even more. As Catherine grows increasingly anxious and hysterical it is difficult to know who to believe and it is frustrating that she won't reveal the truth until the very end - even to the reader. I devoured this book in one sitting. It draws you in and won't let you go until you know what really happened in the summer of 1993.

Sometimes books do live up to the hype.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Summer in Tuscany by Domenica De Rosa

Feature and Follow Friday: Featured Blogger!

Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey