Top Ten Tuesday: Covers I'd Frame as Pieces of Art

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This weeks theme is really interesting: covers that I'd frame as pieces of art. I'm the first to admit that I'm guilty of judging a book by its cover, before even reading the blurb - I think sometimes a nice cover even makes me enjoy the book more somehow. For me to want to frame a book cover, it not only has to be gorgeous, but the book also has to mean something to me. From childhood favourites to classics and newly discovered gems, I found it difficult to choose, but without further ado here are my top ten:

1) Peter Pan - J.M Barrie. There's obviously been hundreds of different covers to this children's classic, but these are two of my favourites:



2) Lords of the White Castle/The Champion - Elizabeth Chadwick. I LOVE all of Chadwick's covers in this style, and I hope to collect them all one day, but these are my two favourites:



3) The Faraway Tree books - Enid Blyton. I already had a copy of The Magic Faraway Tree from a book sale, but as soon as I saw the covers on this collection I knew I had to have them. Gorgeous.



4) The Adventures of Robin Hood - Roger Lancelyn Green. Like the second Peter Pan cover, this is another of the Puffin Classics cover collection. 


5) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen. I first discovered this Pulp! The Classics cover via Girl with her Head in a Book, and it really made me smile. 




6) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll. All of the Penguin Clothbound Classics are gorgeous, but this one has to be my favourite.



...and I suppose that technically is ten covers so I'd better stop there! What's on your lists this week? 



Comments

  1. Beautiful covers. I love the Peter Pan covers.
    http://crushingcinders.com/?p=723

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Robin Hood one is lovely - I really like Roger Lancelyn Green. I completely agree that a good cover can make the whole reading experience more fun ... I remember buying a copy of Agnes Grey about fifteen years ago and it had a Waterstones sticker on that peeled off part of the picture on the cover. For some reason that really annoyed me ... I know that the cover is in many ways the least important part but it is very important in making the book more accessible, especially for children. Great covers :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Summer in Tuscany by Domenica De Rosa

Feature and Follow Friday: Featured Blogger!

Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey